On May 30, 2008, at 12:02 PM, D. Glenn Arthur Jr. wrote:

>          Okay, one wee gripe about the *istD:  the overhang
>          for the pop-up flash gets in the way of the screw
>          that tightens the mounting ring to hold it in one
>          position -- so if I attach a tripod to the bellows,
>          the camera pretty much has to be in portrait
>          orientation.  But do any modern cameras _not_ hang
>          over the lens mount like that?

The only DSLRs I've seen that has zero lens mount overhang is my
Panasonic L1 and its Leica Digilux 3 sibling as well as the Olympus
E-300 and E-330 models:

<http://homepage.mac.com/godders/panasonicL1_olympus25/content/bin/
images/large/080510_mixed_5104048.jpg>
or
http://tinyurl.com/5bx2pp
Panasonic DMC-L1 fitted with Olympus ZD 25mm f/2.8 lens and B+W lens
hood

The Olympus E-1 also has fairly minimal lens mount overhang due to
its not having a built-in flash over the pentaprism.

---

Pentax gear is good. The compatibility with older Pentax lens mounts,
and the level of features they can support, are all good. If you have
a bunch of nice older lenses in Pentax mount to work with, Pentax
DSLR bodies are a natural preference. Personally, I started with
Pentax gear with the *ist DS body and bought up a bunch of nice old
lenses to start with. Over the past three years, I've sold them all
off and replaced them with the current series top of the line primes
and zooms: they are simply more convenient to work with and perform
on par or better.

For raw lens compatibility, Olympus/Panasonic/Leica 4/3 System lens
mounts are much more adaptable. I have used Nikon, Pentax M42, Pentax
K, and Olympus OM lenses on the Panny and Oly bodies (manual focus,
manual iris only, but with manual and Av metering), as well as full
function 4/3 System lenses, and there are mount adapters for Leica R,
Contax/Zeiss, Exacta, Minolta MD, and Leica Visoflex available too.
It's a matter of mount register and the diameter of the mount for
mechanical clearance. But again, I've slowly acquired all the 4/3
System lenses I need as replacement for the older adapted lenses and
use them, with generally superior results.

Godfrey