On May 30, 2008, at 12:58 PM, Bob W wrote:

>> For raw lens compatibility, Olympus/Panasonic/Leica 4/3 System lens
>> mounts are much more adaptable. I have used Nikon, Pentax
>> M42, Pentax
>> K, and Olympus OM lenses on the Panny and Oly bodies (manual focus,
>> manual iris only, but with manual and Av metering), as well as full
>> function 4/3 System lenses, and there are mount adapters for
>> Leica R,
>> Contax/Zeiss, Exacta, Minolta MD, and Leica Visoflex available too.
>> It's a matter of mount register and the diameter of the mount for
>> mechanical clearance. But again, I've slowly acquired all the 4/3
>> System lenses I need as replacement for the older adapted lenses and
>> use them, with generally superior results.
>
> I have one of Cameraquest's Contax/Zeiss adapters for my Olys and I've
> been very pleased with it and the results I've had from using my CZ
> lenses. The only time the results have been poor have been when I used
> the 300/4 with the Mutar II (2x extender) wide open on rather a flimsy
> tripod. With the 4/3rds sensor size that's the aov of a 1200mm lens,
> so I'm not surprised it was a bit soft.
>
> I have quite an array of CZ lenses, but I'm glad to say I don't feel
> much compulsion to replace them. It's nice to have relatively fast
> (f/2.8) long lenses, as well as the f/1.4s in medium lengths. I would
> quite like one of the Olympus 50-200s though.

I only had a couple of CZ lenses way back in the past when I had a
Contax 139ma (? think that was the model). If I had a large
complement of them now, I'd probably still use them too. The CZ
lenses are superb.

I replaced my old favorite Nikkor 105/2.5 and 180/2.8 with the
Olympus ZD 50-200/2.8-3.5. The Oly works as well and provides full
function/features, is only marginally slower at full telephoto and
doesn't take up as much space. Since I bought the Summilux 25/1.4 and
ZD 25/2.8, I've not used the Nikkor 20 at all, and I only use the
Pentax M50/1.4 occasionally (at f/1.4 to f/2) since the standard
Leica 14-50/2.8-3.5 is a better performer. I'd like the Oly ZD 50/2
Macro but still haven't brought myself to spend the money for it,
that would obviate need for the M50 completely.

Godfrey