On Jun 5, 2008, at 8:32 AM, Scott Loveless wrote:

> Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
>> The biggest thing wrong with the step up plan you use is that lens
>> hoods are problematic. You should never use a filter without a lens
>> hood in order to minimize flare. Also, be sure to get multicoating
>
> ... However, I've never found a hood to be
> necessary with a polarizer.  ...

A polarizer is no less, and usually more, prone to flare than a
single filter because it is a multi-part composite lens accessory.
Veiling flare can be subtle to see because a polarizer typically
improves scene contrast by reducing polarized components of specular
reflections ... but I'm unwilling to sacrifice any contrast. ;-)