----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Loveless"
Subject: polarizers, take 2

> Howdy!
>
> So I'm shopping for a polarizer again.  A year or two ago I asked about
> polarizers, but I can't find the thread.  Anyway, I ended up with a
> fairly inexpensive Sunpak 58mm polarizer from the LCS and a few step up
> rings for the smaller lenses.  Now the 645 needs one.  The filter ring
> sizes are 58, 67 and 77mm, and I'm leaning toward the same kind of set
> up - one polarizer and step up rings.  The camera budget is not going to
> allow for a polarizer on each lens, a la Charles Braswell.

As long as you are very carful about flare, especially veiling flare, you
should be fine.

> IIRC, since this is a manual focus system I shouldn't need a circular
> polarizer, though it certainly wouldn't hurt.  Perhaps a few of you
> could make some recommendations on brand, etc., before I buy one.  B&H
> has a Hoya linear polarizer for about $40US.  But anything under $100
> should be fine.

I don't know if the 645 uses a beam splitter in the exposure metering system or
not. If it does,
then consider a circular polarizer. If it doesn't, then a standard polarizer is
fine.

> Thanks a bunch!
>
> BTW, the PUG should be up sometime today.

Damn. Missed another one.

William Robb