(Sorry if this breaks the thread... I have message delivery turned off so
I can't hit reply...)

Pat replied:
> I was led to a program called PhotoMe

Thanks Pat! I'll give this a try. One of my biggest disappointments was
losing the # of shutter "actuations". So if that works out, then awesome,
half the problem solved.

As for the other half...

> guess I want the camera (body) to retain the numbering exclusively
> internally (independent of the card), but that does not seem like an
> option (true / false?)

... The jury is still out.

Derby mentioned
> Cards are cheap enough. Buy a couple and keep them with the camera?

You must've missed the part when I said I rather not. Once I get the
numbering back in order via Pat's suggestion, exclusive cards *would*
solve it, but quite frankly I have enough stuff to keep track of these
days. I rather not add "which card goes with which camera" to that list.
Plus when shooting a wedding, event, etc., I just grab and load (over and
over again). My preference would be to keep that workflow as simple as
possible (i.e., one less thing to color code / coordinate).

Lastly, D Brooks said...

> If you format the cards in the camera, do they not then
> carry on with the numbering for that specific camera.

Nope. I'm not 100% certain, but it seems like it takes either the internal
number or the card number, whichever one is *higher*... even if the card
is formatted. (I've tried this with formatting
the card in camera and out [in a different body]).

Oh wait... I just refreshed and see that William Robb replied
> You can download a program called PhotoME

Sorry.. Pat beat you to the punch on that one. But! You've addressed the
other half of the problem, and I like both of your suggestions. I will try
deleting the folder altogether via the card reader and also switch the
color space on one (I do shoot in raw mode more these days). I had them in
different modes before, which may explain why I haven't seen this problem
in a while (I recently synced them back up). Anywayz, thanks again. I'll
give it a shot.