On Sun, 2 Dec 2001 17:55:27 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi, I am having an ongoing issue with my Epson C80 printer, and
>am hoping that perhaps someone can help me determine the
>problem.
>Please see:
>http://www.accesscomm.ca/users/wrobb/Artifact1.jpg
>
>The part circled in red is the problem.
>Thanks
>William Robb
>-

Well, there's no red or blue in 45% black, which is the basic problem.
Take a look at the shutter curtain on an LX. Ain't no red there, just
good old 18% black... or is it 82% black... hmmm...

Anyway, my guess is some sort of printer failure, which intermittently
causes the head to fail to fire. If it was my printer, I'd be on the
phone to Epson in a heartbeat.

In my experience, Epson gives great customer service for their
printers. Give them a call - they'll most likely walk you through a
decent diagnostic, then if the problem still exists offer a
replacement. Be sure to tell them you are using Epson inks and Epson
paper (and maybe even use Epson inks and paper for the diagnostic
routine.)

And don't forget a good knock on the cabinet cures lots of machinery
malfunctions. Read on for more silliness:

I've been using a pretty good Epson inkjet for several years. Common
problems in the image (in no particular order) are:

1. Paper: Crud/grease/impact damage/fingerprints/bad coating/coating
incompatible with inkset.
2. Head failure (can't be fixed by cleaning - has to be fixed by
Epson).
3. Dirty head (lint and such - using a cleaning sheet or just printing
some test sheets clears up the problem).
4. "Clogged" head - using the printer's cleaning routine can help (but
if it is really clogged, it becomes #2 Head Failure).
5. Voids, scratches, or smears caused by transport problems - usually
very regular in pattern, and can be traced to a roller or other
mechanical part of the transport mechanism).
6. Data loss - mysterious voids and patterns which are sometimes
unfathomable, often small, and often almost but not quite regular
enough to suggest transport smearing. My solution is to go back to the
original scan, re-save it, sometimes at a slightly different
resolution, and sometimes print from a different computer with more
RAM.
7. Cheese and sneeze. Yep, that's what I said. Both invisible and
ink-repellant.
8. Spitting heads - just like it sounds, only smaller. Sometimes
(usually) it quits spitting all by itself or after a cleaning routine.
9. Operator error. Sometimes those big red spots on my print were on
the original neg and scan, but I didn't notice them until I examined
the print.

--
John Mustarde