Chiming in late here, still catching up after a week away...

I don't think it is "plagiarism" (copying of ideas) so much as it is
a common application of rules of composition. I don't believe I have
ever seen either of the two alley shots Bob references in the second
part of his note below. However, I am sure that someplace I have seen
a shot of an alleyway that was mostly empty, but with one point of
contrast: a walker, a child playing, a bicycle against the wall, a
kitten in the patch of sun. Whenever I travel in places with narrow
alleys (e.g., Stockholm, Singapore, Naples) I look for, wait for,
that moment that allows me to apply the lesson of composition I
learned looking at other photos like these: empty space is just empty
space, no matter how interesting the architecture that surrounds it,
unless there is an element of contrast to emphasize the emptiness of
the  space. There are probably a few hundred thousand variants of
shots showing bicycles leaning against walls, but it doesn't mean
that the next person who uses a bicycle against a wall is copying
someone else; rather he is putting the same principles to use. As
millions of photographers follow the same relatively limited rule set
with a finite set of objects to photograph, a certain sameness may
begin to appear. But I can appreciate the subtle differences in
execution just as I can appreciate the differences between renditions
of the same classical piece by three different orchestras.

As I mentioned once before, I saw an exhibit in our museum this
spring - don't recall the names, but the project represented was
searching out the exact spots where the Masters (e.g., Weston, St.
Ansel, etc.) had placed their tripods to take some of their iconic
images of Yosemite, etc. One interesting mosaic showed how three of
the Greats had stood in basically the same place on the edge of a
Yosemite Park parking lot, many years apart, had looked down the
valley, and had taken very different shots of the same scene. Subtle
differences in angles, in focal length of the lens used, but
essentially the same scene. And each was a unique image because of
those subtle differences.

If you are seeing sameness, look deeper for the subtleties that
discriminate among the superficially similar images.

stan