Peter, if you look at the pic Bob posted of the butterfly that looks
like mine, it is not a Monarch, but a cousin, the Queen Butterfly. I
believe the simple answer to the "problem" is that the butterfly I
shot is in fact a Queen Butterfly. I will ask the folks tomorrow at
the nursery as they are pretty knowledgable on the subject.

Thanks all for the input and comments. It's been fun.

Walt