Adam Maas wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Dario Bonazza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> Steve Desjardins wrote:
>>
>>> Some do need all the sensor they can get.  But I agree that the only
>>> reason for most people to need a FF sensor is wide angle performance and
>>> not resolution.
>>
>> I'm not so convinced by the wideangle advantage. So far, you can get an
>> excellent APS DSLR and an excellent digital wideangle of your choice for
>> less than a FF body alone, with the additional side result of extending
>> your
>> current outfit at the long end.
>> Things can change, but in case FF price will drop so much and everybody
>> will
>> buy FF, you'll have to take care of edge performance of your old
>> wideangle
>> lenses, with the risk of no longer accepting their performance and then
>> ending cropping images back to APS or the like. Remember, gone are the
>> days
>> when we guessed and judged image quality by projecting curved slides on
>> wavy
>> screens...
>>
>> Dario
>>

> No DX wideangle can match the performance of Nikon's 14-24 f2.8G lens,
> and there's no option on APS for wider than a 15mm-e (16mm-e for Canon
> shooters, 14mm-e for 4/3rds) while you can go as wide as 12mm on FF
> with the surprisingly good Sigma 12-24. In the 20mm range the 21
> Distagon simply destroys all other options for performance (even the
> incredibly good 14-24 can't touch the Distagon)
>
> You can get very good wide-angle stuff with APS-C, but the FF stuff
> still has a performance advantage, especially in lower light where the
> f2.8 of the 14-24 or a 14mm prime is a large advantage.

If you think in terms of re-building a whole new FF system, that's OK. But
most people think they can just buy a supposedly cheap FF body and put all
of their good ol'glass back to work as they used to. That's doable, but the
resulting performance won't necessarily match or surpass that of an APS DSLR
equipped with a 10-20 or 12-24.

Dario