In a message dated 12/4/01 11:47:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> ci·vil·ian (s-vlyn)
> n.       A person following the pursuits of civil life, especially one who
> is not an active member of the military or police.
> adj.    Of or relating to civilians or civil life; nonmilitary: civilian

You and me are "civilians" (outsiders) to people in the medical field. We are
"civilains" to ice carvers, carpenters, firefighters, professional ice
skaters, NFL players, world class Chessmasters-etc.
Get it: civilian = "outsiders"?
Think of it this way: persons not part of the PDML are "civilians."
Get it now?