----- Original Message -----
From: "Godfrey DiGiorgi"
Subject: Re: Compressed DNG and Pentax Photo Browser

> On Jul 8, 2008, at 3:36 AM, Dario Bonazza wrote:
>
>> Thibouille wrote:
>>
>>> The thing is, The Pentax software will only recognize compressed DNG
>>> compressed by itself and NOT DNG compressed by Adobe :(
>>
>> Yes, I've noticed that, and this makes the whole DNG thing far less
>> standardized and appealing than it looks (and should!).
>
> It's what should be called "a defective implementation of the DNG
> specification by Pentax". They're not the only ones who've produced
> defective implementations with respect to DNG files. It's not the
> specification that's at fault, nor Adobe: it is the software vendors
> who don't seem to understand how to be compliant with a protocol
> specification.

I was thinking the same thing. All these camera companies have their own
variations on raw
files, be they PEFs or NEFs or whatever. When Adobe released the DNG format, I
thought the idea
was that it would be the file format version of film: IE: a cross platform
format. So what do
the camera makers do? They bugger up the implementation of it.
It's kinda stupid, since Adobe has already done the legwork on compressed DNG
files and all the
camera companies have to do is insert Adobe's compression code into their own
software (it was
released as open source, was it not?).

William Robb