Thanks Bob, and you could be right there.

The fellow i took over from, moved on into moto bike race photography
and is doing a bang up business. He still does on site(he was the
first in our area in 2000 to do so) but does not sell prints anymore,
just day CD's.
Last i spoke to him, he had 3 view computers, and two burn computers,
that are working all day long.

I sell quite a few CD's my self. Just wondering if i should just go
that route. Digital files only.

One thing IS for sure,if i carry on. The CD prices need to rise. I
just did those as a desperation measure in 2005 and 2006, to try and
break even, and picked what i thought was a fair price. My year end CD
is under valued i think.

Dave
Dave

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Bob Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
> I don't think the pictures or the web site are a problem.  Both are
> good enough, and as good as others I've seen.  You're clients just
> have very low price expectations.  It's not encouraging...
> Regards,  Bob S.
>
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 5:36 PM, David J Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Well, i am taking the same type of photos as the competition, except
>> most of the onsite companies shot a hell of a lot more of each rider.
>> Having said that, they stil only get 3-4 out of , say 50 shots of the
>> rider actually doing the jump or test or what have you.
>>
>> There clients think they are getting a bargin at $75 for a show CD.
>> Look at all my photos i get. Yes but why would you want 20 of your
>> back end going over a jump.
>>
>> Difficult to explain.
>>
>> I was one of two people 7 years ago, doing on site digital work. Even
>> then, sales were not great, but i did make a bit of a profit each
>> time.
>>
>> I talked to another shooter this weekend, who has been doing this as a
>> pro, since 1988, and he has seen his profit decline drastically. He
>> also does a lot of "commercial" work as well, and that is keeping him
>> going.
>>
>> Here is his site. I don't see my shots any different or presented
>> differently as his, and he is a main stream shooter.
>>
>> www.shootphoto.ca
>>
>> He uses CS to make his pages, i use Breeze Browser Pro.
>>
>> I think it boils down to repation. Same riders, same jumps, same back
>> drops, same horses.
>>
>> I have sold to the same people for all these years, and unless i get
>> an outstanding shot, or they get a new horse, its same ol, same ol.
>>
>> Well, some one else can take over, spend $1600 and do a pro web
>> page(mine is home built, but you see that)and hopefully they do
>> better.
>>
>> Life goes on.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Maxime Thériault
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> I can understand your feelings, and I reckon having far less knowledge in
>>> this field than you more than likely have.
>>>
>>> But.. And it's not meant to be taken in a mean way, but I've looked at your
>>> pictures collection and have to say that it's a far shot from the
>>> 'professional equestrian photogs' in the way they are both presented
>>> (website) and taken (The photos themselves). It's not to say that your
>>> pictures are bad per see, but you need to know where your competition is at
>>> and compete on the same level if you want an income that is above that of an
>>> amateur / 'mom with DSLR' level. The market, ANY specialty market, are
>>> awfully hard to penetrate and alas that is how that field is.
>>>
>>> That's about as far as my 'knowledge' goes, and like I said you probably
>>> know more than I do, and your business plan was probably taking this into
>>> account etc.
>>>
>>> I do wish you luck and fortune in any decision you take.

>>> 2006 $450