Paul Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does any one have any experience with the Manfrotto monopod
that has little
> feet at the bottom?
>
> http://www.manfrotto.com/products/index.html?doc_from=home
>
> i assume the legs are removeable to use it as a normal
monopod?

> I also am getting one for xmas :)
>
> For travelling it seems like a good compromise between a
tripod and a normal
> monopod.

Hi Paul,

The one you mention is called "self standing" monopod. It can
hold up to 12kg as a monopod, but only up to 4kg with its tiny
legs. The three little legs are mounted on a screw-in base. When
you remove the base the legs can be set horizontally and act as
a standing aid. It is useful for changing lenses and so on, but
it's not a real substitute to a true tripod.
If you are planning to get a monopod the added legs will be
useful in many occasions. I even shot a couple of long exposures
with it (I had to wait for the vibrations of the set-up to stop,
though...). Often I carry with me two tripods and the monopod to
build a lightning set, usind the monopod as a light stand with a
flash mounted on it.

Hope this helps.

Gianfranco

=====