Wheatfield penned ...

> I can work my tail off to get good results from 35mm, I can nail
> down my exposure and process the film just right to make sure
> the image is on the sweet part of the curve, and still not have
> an image as technically good as a hack medium format negative
> where I have barely paid attention to the meter, and sort of
> half assed slopped the film around in the chemistry for a while.

        Yup!  I just point my old 1950 Bessa II in the general
        direction, set aperture & shutter by my feeling of the most
        appropriate reading from a series of responses from one of
        my centerweighted Pentax bodies & a tele lens and have
        exquisite 6x9cm negs or transparancies result.

        I can even print a portion of them in my Rinky-Dink(tm)
        home darkroom, and just the part I can fit into the old
        Durst M601 (6x6) enlarger blows away 35mm stuff.

        Same holds for the old Yaschica A TLR

        My next step equipment-wise will be the Pentax 67, though
        I am also leaning towards a 4x5 rig if one falls in front
        of me and is affordable. Digi-cams leave me cold - I have
        no desire to move from chemicals to pixels. I have access
        to a *real* pro lab in Miami that can work w/ up to 8x10
        negs and put out chemical prints/duratrans up to 4x8ft at
        expensive, but not exhorbitant, prices. I usually get, for
        my own purposes, their machine 8x12's which blow every other
        lab I have ever used product out of the water for $5.25ea
        plus cheap USPS shipping. They have an associate b&w lab
        which provides same sort of quality.

        Bill