>> Will the fact that the sensor is closer to the lens produce a
>> "sharper" image?
>>
> Probably not.
>> Will the image circle of existing 4:3 lenses not completely cover
>> the sensor, therefore, producing vignetting, but increasing the
>> telescopic effect?
>> Do to a gain in DOF, will small aperture diffraction be reduced?
>>
> No more than on current 4:3 cameras.

The format is the same as 4/3 so all 4/3 lenses will cover the format
perfectly, using the 4/3->m4/3 adapter, and there will be no
difference in imaging quality with them. There just won't be a flippy
mirror in the way so the body will be quiet and vibrationless. The FoV-
DoF of 4/3 will remain the same with m4/3 ... in other words, a 25mm
lens on either will show exactly the same image characteristics at the
same aperture and focus distance ... modulo the difference in lens
design of course.

The shorter register means that simpler, less expensive, smaller and
lighter lens designs can be made with equal quality to what is made
now for the SLR bodies ... a 20mm f/1.7 (on the roadmap) for m4/3 will
be 30-50% smaller than the size of the same lens designed for the DSLR
bodies since you could do it with a non-retrofocus design. EG: the
Leica Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH for the SLR bodies, redesigned for
m4/3, could be as small as a 35mm film rangefinder camera's 25mm f/1.4
and one third the weight of the current lens, which requires a very
complex retrofocus lens design to achieve its quality and speed.

Older 4/3 SLR lenses were not designed for contrast-detect AF focusing
algorithms. Lenses produced since Olympus/Panasonic/Leica pioneered
Live View in DSLRs, and then pioneered CDAF. All lenses produced since
CDAF in SLRs was invented, and those that have been given focusing
algorithm firmware updates, are what works with the m4/3 focusing
system. Others are manually focused and some of the fancy face detect
and follow focus features are not available, that's all.

Of the list of compatible 4/3 lenses, I've got all the ones that
matter already (Leica 14-50/2.8-3.5, Leica 25/1.4, Olympus 25/2.8 ...).

Yes, size matters. I want my cameras to be smaller, lighter, easier to
carry and returning the same quality as what I have now. ];-)

For the way I use a viewfinder, if Panasonic has done what I think
they have, this will be a fantastic addition to my kit.  I wouldn't
pass judgement until I see one ... can't wait to see one. And they've
got the lens I MOST want on the roadmap for next year ... a 20mm f/1.7
prime. Now that makes me happy.

(as you might imagine, I could give a toss about so-called "full
frame"...)