Hi, Dan,

A very moving picture, a reminder of a horrendous event in your
country's history, to be sure.

A lot of peope (even in Canada) don't know that December 7 is also the
anniversary of another horrendous event, the Halifax Explosion.  In 1917
a relief ship collided with a munitions ship in the harbour.  The
munitions ship caught fire, and exploded.  It was (and remains) the
largest man-made non-atomic explosion ever.

2000 people died immediately.  About another 1200 died that night, most
trapped in their houses under rubble, as the worst blizzard in decades
swept through Halifax.  The whole north end of the city was levelled.
This, in a city of maybe 50,000 at the time.

Railway lines and telegraph lines were all destroyed, effectively
isolating the city.  Relief supplies and medical help from other parts
of the country couldn't get in for days.  In fact, the first relief came
by ship from Boston.  To this day, as a gesture of thanks, the City of
Halifax sends a huge Christmas tree (cut down from Lunenberg County,
where my Mom lives, btw) to the City of Boston.  It's lit in a large
ceremony every year in Boston Commons.

I know this is OT, but the image that you linked us to in your post
reminded me of that event.  Like I said, many Canadians aren't aware
that such a terrible event happened in our country, let alone the rest
of the world.

regards,
frank

"Daniel J. Matyola" wrote:

> Photo of the Day (not mine):
>
> http://www.thedaily.com/overlook.html
>
> Dan
> --
> Daniel J. Matyola                  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Stanley, Powers & Matyola          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Suite203, 1170 US Highway 22 East  http://danmatyola.com
> Bridgewater, NJ 08807              (908)725-3322  fax: (908)707-0399
> -

"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist fears it is true." -J. Robert
Oppenheimer