----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Stenquist"
Subject: Re: Seriously OT - school system shenanigans in Pittsburgh

That's all well in good in theory. But there are times when pragmatic decisions must be made. I taught ninth grade in a Chicago inner city high school. If I had taught the curriculum as provided by the board of education and failed anyone who didn't achieve 70%, NO ONE would have made it beyond ninth grace, and the school would have become non- functional. Sometimes you have to deal with the reality of the situation you're confronted with.

My father taught at Scott Colleigiate here in Regina. For those who get McLean's magazine, Scott is in the heart of what polite society refers to as North Central Less polite people have some rather racist labels for it, but I digress. The school board fiddled with all sorts of strategies to keep kids in that school, everything from dropping programs that were considered Euro-Centric, and therefore culturally assimilative by the largely native community, putting in what they considered to be culturally friendly programs, dropping requirements so that students wouldn't have to live woth low marks and high expectations, putting a funded daycare into the school so that the student mothers could have their infant children close at hand, the list goes on.
Pragmatic decisions indeed.
At best, Scott has a 10% graduation rate, and this number hasn't changed significantly for many decades. I think that the less of a challenge you give, the less able people become to be challenged. I also think that it is an insult to any particular group, be they predomonantly black kids (correct me if I am wrong) in a Chicogo inner city school or native kids in a Regina inner city school to lower their educational standards below the median. Lower standards is telling them at an institutional level that they are less smart, less intelligent, and less able to cope in society, and then making truth out of it by graduating them without the skills required to become contributing members of mainstream society.

We slap them in the face from the time they enter school, and then wonder why they are bitter young men and women 12 years later.

The end result is high unemployment, more poverty, more crime, and more hopelessness. If you happen to live in a welfare state, the result is also higher taxes to support an unemployable group of illiterates, and a lot of ill will from the taxed group who work very hard to support a multi-generational life of leisure, as disfunctional parents beget disfunctional children in this sort of society.

If you apply the same standards to the entire population, those that fail have at least failed honestly rather than passed dishonestly, and the ones who pass dishonestly generally end up in the same boat anyway, since they are not only less prepared for their post educational life, they have gone through their schooling having it drilled into them that they aren't smart enough to cope.

Or perhaps it really is OK to graduate kids from grade 12 who can neither read nor write, and can't identify their own country when handed an atlas.

William Robb