I'm not going to claim any special knowledge, but my *istD has the
same button and I was recently given my first AF lens....pressing on
the button allows me to autofocus without having my finger near the
shutter button.  My husband finds it useful, since his thumb rests
there, but it's a bit of a stretch for me.  I don't know, but it seems
useful to be able to focus without fearing taking a picture, and also
allows you to have a good firm grip on the front of your camera with
all fingers.  Also, keeping your finger on it gets continuous autfocus
going.

Again, I just switched over to digital, and only recently got my first
AF lens....so, I don't know.  :)

rg2