From: "Tim Bray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
It dawned on me that of all the buttons on the back of the K20, the
one I've never ever hit is "AF".  Its effect seems identical to
squeezing the shutter a bit.  So I went and looked around in the
manual; it entirely escapes me why this button exists and what you'd
use it for.  So obviously I'm missing something... -T

If it's the same as the K10D, you can set a custom function to determine if the shutter button performs auto-focus or not. AND a custom function to choose whether to perform auto-focus when the AF button is pressed or perform auto-focus when the AF button is pressed while the shutter button is held half way.

This "feature" was copied from Nikon (the D2 had it); lets you separate auto-focus from exposure ... use the AF button to focus & shutter button to trip the shutter without changing the focus.

It's like having AF lock in AF.C I guess. Let go of the AF button and the focus locks where-ever it was at that instant.