First off, I'm happy to have been able to get Picasa in my work
computer.  My laptop at home is pooched for a bit (hard-drive
problems) and I haven't been able to photoshop anything for like three
weeks now and I've been going crazy.  Many hundreds of new photos and
nothing to do with them.

So, at least with Picasa I can convert them to black and white and
crop (but I can't figure out how to resize), but that's about it.
Sharpening is horrible, and all "fine adjustments" are anything but
fine.  I guess I shouldn't complain given the price, but this is
pretty basic stuff, even for a basic guy like me.

Anyway, author Michael Ondaatje lives in Toronto's Cabbagetown
neighbourhood.  He's at the Jet Fuel pretty much every weekend, and
tends to be pretty reclusive.  When he's approached (usually by a
non-regular) he's clearly uncomfortable.  He's friendly enough with
those he's familiar with, nodding and saying hi to regulars.

I've always been reluctant to photograph him as he's obviously
protective of his privacy, but this weekend he was standing near the
door and the light was hitting him just so, so I quickly snapped him
from the hip.  I kind of like the result, but I think it'll look lots
better when I can photoshop it.  Until then this will have to do:

http://knarfinthecity.blogspot.com/2008/10/canadian-patient_9625.html

Comments welcome.

cheers,
frank