I have Apple looking into this problem now.

From what I've been able to gather from Pentax the lenses, any recent ones (F, FA, FA J, DA, DA*) have a code embedded in the lens firmware. The camera has a lookup table to tell it what lens it is. It includes more than Pentax lenses, but I don't know to what extent. Evidence is that when I had my Tokina ATX-Pro 80-200 mm f2.8 on my K100 back in July, the lens was identified as "smc PENTAX-F 35-105mm F4-5.6 or SIGMA AF 28-300 F3.5-5.6 DL IF".

Obviously PhotoME only works on PeeCees, so I'm searching for something else. Tried to install Pentax's "Browser" software that comes with every camera. and find that OS 10.5.5 will not run the installer. It hangs on a blank window. Same with their newer ACDSEE software.

Gonna go search for a Mac OS compatible REXIF editor.

By the way, a Google search of "Pentax EXIF Lens Model Data" without the quotes turns up lots of similar complaining Pentax users, from this list and others.

Joseph McAllister
Pentaxian