Joseph McAllister wrote:
OK. This is obviously more than I can or want to deal with!  ;- 0

I'm going to have to leave this up to the experts at Pentax and Apple and Adobe to get it right.

The bottom line is that the EXIF data in the PEF files contains only a single number that identifies the lens, and another set of numbers that identify the settings for that lens and that shot ... min aperture, max aperture, shooting aperture, etc.

The software that reads the PEF files needs to have a table of the lens ID values, like 1272 (4 248) for the DA 12-24, or all it can tell you is the ID value for the lens that shot a particular PEF. Some post processing software might interpret that number and turn it into a text name in the PEF file, but that's not the way the camera records it.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)