Christian Skofteland wrote:

> If you want to learn about the TRUE Australian psyche read "In a Sunburned
> Country"  The book has good insight about how Aussies view themselves and
> their relationship to England and the world.

Or just ask some of us. We are mostly approachable and always have well
informed
opinions and will air them at the drop of  a hat. Aussies make great cab
drivers.
Australians are a wierd mob though, although 90 per cent of the population live
in
cities, most relate to "the bush" or country side. Aussies also like to
maintain the
"aussie battler" image which more than anything represses Australians to never
quite achieving many goals in life. Should you rise above the battler class you
are
seen to be a toff and scorned by others. So it seems the goal is a life of
perpetual
struggle to free yourself from the lower classes but must never achieve it.

Many see England as a the oppressors, as we established as a penal colony by
England  and so there has alway been an under=current of dissent to authority
and a wish to be free of it. Many Australians like to think of themselves not
as
English dissendants but as Australians and scorn their British heritage. I was
talking with an English friend of mine who married an Aussie girl ( undoubtalby

the prettiest in the world ;), and his wife remarked after they had taken a
trip to
England visiting 300 year old churches in little villages, that Australia lacks
any
true heritage, to which my English friend replied that the English heritage IS
the
Australian heritage. I could not help but think he was correct, yet this remark

seemed to be greeted with scorn from the aussies present.

I think most Australians would like to divest themselves of England and go it
alone.
However, a recent referendum for a republic was defeated. There are still alot
of Monachists about.

If you would like to talk further on this, please contact me off-list, alway
like a chat.

Kind regards
Kevin