From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Mark Roberts
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:02 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Full Frame: what is it?

David Savage wrote:

> 2008/10/21 Rick Womer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> --- On Tue, 10/21/08, David Savage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> For long exposures (10+ minutes) & low light, high ISO
>>> shots the full frame sees a big (no pun intended) improvement in IQ.
>>>
>>> For regular shooting in good light, not so much of a
>>> difference.
>>>
>> That's true at the current level of technology.  A few years from now
maybe, maybe not.

 > Possibly, but it doesn't help for the photos I'm taking now.

It's physically inevitable that, given an equal number of pixels, a
24x36 sensor will have larger pixels and hence lower noise than a 16x24
sensor. Perhaps technology will lower all noise levels in the future to
the point where the difference is unimportant, but I expect we're past
the point of diminishing returns now and approaching the limits of
physics: Noise, more than absolute pixel count, is why full-frame is
growing so fast.

Here's an interesting observation, too: The 4/3 lens mount has the same
opening diameter as the Nikon F mount (44mm), so larger sensors *could*
be used in the 4/3 system in the future. They'd require a new line of
lenses, of course, but all the manufacturers (except Sony) are in that
boat to one degree or another. I wouldn't be surprised to see larger
sensor 4/3 cameras appear after the micro 4/3 gets established.

follow the directions.