On 24/10/08, Scott Loveless, discombobulated, unleashed:

>Continuing the "Batteries" thread.........
>
>I'd like to get an inverter for the car to run a AA battery charger,
>cell phone charger and the laptop.  I can't think of anything else I'd
>plug into it at the moment.  The laptop's power supply indicates 65W.
>My reasoning is that it would cost more to buy the appropriate DC
>chargers for this stuff, and the inverter allows some flexibility.
>
>While this is probably simpler than I'm making it out to be, I'm very
>green on this subject.  Sine, modified-sine, continuous wattage, etc.
>It's all very technical and I'm lazy at this stage in my life.  From
>what I can tell I should be able to go to Target and get a $35
>inverter.  Since this is almost certainly a modified sine wave
>inverter, do you guys think it might cause a problem with the stuff
>I'd like to plug into it?  Or would I be better off ordering something
>a little better?
>
>If it makes any difference, physical size doesn't really matter.  I
>have lighter sockets in the dash, two in the center console and
>another in the cargo area.  So I can pretty much put this thing where
>I want.

Running a laptop would be fine with most any type of inverter. If it's
65w you need, make sure you get one that will power double that load,
continuously.

Further reading:

<http://www.sterling-power.com/products-230vi-pure-info.htm>

I have a 230volt pure sine wave 1500 watt continuous inverter, but I
power a video monitor, audio monitors, VTRs, you name it. I have yet to
test the angle grinder on a wheel clamp in full anger ;-)

--

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__