Paul,

Have you tried auto-bracket in full manual mode?  What did your camera do?

I tried it with two of my cameras, an Olympus E-410 and a Fuji S7000 (an EVF
bridge camera 3 or 4 years old).  Both of them did as you'd like, i.e. they
kept the aperture fixed while the shutter speed varied.  In fact it didn't
seem possible to fix the shutter speed ( vary the aperture)in manual mode
with bracketing.  But the cameras each had very different methods of setting
up AE bracketing, leading to my next question.

Do you think the Pentax might implement AE bracketing differently according
to the drive mode?  Try AE bracketing in single shot mode (although it may
not actuate in this mode) and then in continuous mode and see if there's a
difference.

Lastly, someone already suggested using a K or M lens.  At the risk of
reopening an old wound, how does a KxxD operate when using an A/F/FA lens
with aperture selected on the lens?  Or is aperture only selectable on the
camera?  Maybe there's a way to trick the camera into submission, like
mounting a flash unit in a mode that will cause a specific aperture to be
set (even if you block the flash's output).

Good luck with finding an answer.

Regards, Anthony