> OK,
>
> Just spoken to Pentax UK and their "MZ-S Expert" *assured* me that the
> data imprinting happens on a per-frame-shot basis, NOT during the film
> rewind.

Hi Paul,
of course that might be true, but I find it hard to believe. If MZ-S indeed
imprints data on a frame_per_frame shot basis, then it would imprint
data
A) with the imprinting density at PF15 value that is set at the moment of
taking the photo or
b) at the PF15 value that was set at the beginning of that particular roll
and this value is valid for the entire roll.

However, I shot two rolls of HP5 at 400 ASA with different PF15
settings:
roll #1 was shot at PF15 value 1 (this means auto setting) and
imprinted data were overexposed enough to be almost unreadable,
so I shot another roll (#2) of the same type of film and started the roll
with the same auto PF 15 setting. At frame 16 I changed PF15 to value
2 (which means low imprint density for high speed films) and at frame
18 PF 15 was set to 3 (medium imprint density). When I finished this
roll, I changed PF15 to the value 4 (lowest imprint density) and
rewound the roll.

If MZ-S indeed imprints data on frame_per_frame basis, I'd expect that
data on roll #2 have different imprint density at frames 1-15, 16-17 and
18 to the end of the roll respectively (if previous assumption A is
correct) or
that the data on roll #2 have same imprint density as roll #1 through the
whole roll #2 since at the start of the roll PF15 was set to the same
value (if assumption B is correct).

However, true result on roll #2 was even bigger data overexposure as
on roll #1 and therefore data being completely unreadable. This
corresponds to the PF15 value 4 which is meant for low speed films
and thus causes total overexposure of imprinted data on 400 ASA film.
So the only possible explanation I can think of is that data imprinting
happens during rewind and therefore valid PF15 value was 4 which I
set just before I rewound the roll. Or am I missing something?

Cao, Matjaz

P.S.: otherwise, I never experienced any rewind problems neither with
MZ-S nor with MZ-3.