John,

Yes, houses are expensive.  Maybe prices will drop now.
But this is the same old cliche story we always see.
Poor people who can't afford the basic necessities.
Sometimes their own choices are at fault, sometimes bad luck or illness.
The only difference here is that some banker was dumb enough to lend them $$$$.

The government bailout has focused on bad jumbo loans, $350,000+.

Regards,  Bob S.