Another example of the phenomenon:

http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=48300

On Nov 9, 2008, at 13:22 , Joseph McAllister wrote:

This is what Walt (and I) missed, from the 2007 San Francisco show:

http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=155067

On Nov 9, 2008, at 11:28 , Walter Hamler wrote:

We were told that the plane was at 745 knots, which at sea level is
.9999 the speed of sound. Had that area of compression slid off the
rear of the aircraft there would have been a sonic boom. :-) As a kid
at air shows they were occasionally heard but the restrictions are
very strict now.
One of the Blue Angels made a VERY low pass at about the same speed,
not 20 feet off the water. There was a wake and small rooster tail
behind the jet that was visible for the entire 3 mile pass!
Unfortunately I didn't have the camera ready and missed it except for
seeing the last 100 yards, about a tenth of a second!

Walt

Joseph McAllister
Lots of gear, not much time