Subject: Re: OT: cleaning the windshield so I can see the Blue Ridge Parkway

From: PN Stenquist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2008/11/11 Tue PM 03:35:04 GMT
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>

Here's a source for the polishing compound:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=2012&keyword=40011B&cm_mmc=undefined
Paul

It's on order. I feel a test report coming on...... From that page, I thought I would be clever and search for "Rhodite", assuming it was the mineral that the product was made from. If so, it's a bargain. Rhodite is, apparently, an alloy of Rhodium and Gold.

On Nov 11, 2008, at 10:32 AM, PN Stenquist wrote:

> You can purchase windshield polishing compound at stores that sell
> body shop supplies. But as noted, it actually removes glass, and you
> need a buffing machine for it to be effective. My old Jag XJ-12 had
> windshield damage from blowing sand as the previous owner had lived
> out on Long Island. I tried buffing it by hand but couldn't remove
> the little pits. My Chevy had one tiny scratch from a windshield
> wiper. I was able to buff that out by hand. But you'll need a
> machine to do a whole windshield.
> Paul
> On Nov 11, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Feroze wrote:
>
>> This is the only one that I know of that will remove pitting or
>> wiper damage.
>>
>> http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2010&itemType=PRODUCT
>>
>> Clay removes surface impurities , it dosn't fill in scratches. No
>> hand treatment will work from what I've seen unless you willing to
>> spend a couple months sandpapering your windscreen, you need to get
>> a buffing machine like the above and sandpaper the scratches out,
>> you not filling the cracks, you are lowering the level of the
>> surrounding area to the level of the scratch, if that makes sense
>>
>> http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18275
>>
>> 3M also makes some highly recommended products but I don't know if
>> they will sell it retail to you, I usually buy it from a panel beater
>>

>>> Thanks for that.  I did manage to find the Maguires stuff on a UK
>>> website yesterday.  There seems to be the opinion here that it
>>> will (with some effort) remove the fine scratches one
>>> (specifically, a _previous_ owner) can generate by using the
>>> wipers dry.  Any idea if this is true, or does anyone know of any
>>> other treatment?

You get further with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.
        --Al Capone.