On Nov 13, 2008, at 12:10 PM, Adam Maas wrote:

test on FA50/1.4

They certainly don't seem impressed with its open-aperture performance, do they?

It seems not. I never found mine soft, the detail was there but there
was a 'glow' to it that made it one of the best portrait lenses I've
used wide-open.

I always found it somewhat soft wide open too, with a good deal of spherical aberration. The results were pleasant, just not as sharp as some other lenses; bokeh was better at f/2-2.8. The FA43/1.9 is sharper wide open; the F50/1.7 is too.

What the review hardly commented on is that the FA50/1.4 is the least expensive of these ultra fast 50mm lenses across all brands (and what a pig (size, weight, price, etc) the Sigma looks to be). Not bad for a lens for which the optical design dates to the early 1980s (the smc Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4 was the first model of this optical design; the F and FA models were mount changes only).

Godfrey