On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 9:29 PM, JC OConnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In that case, FF and aps format would be the SAME DOF,
> neither one would have "deeper" dof. And print size is
> not a factor either.

You are incorrect.

The DOF depends on the following factors:

Lens focal length (f)
Lens focal ratio (f-number, N)
Subject distance (s)
Allowable circle of confusion (c)

(I'm following the notation of:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field)

In this discussion, we're talking about a given lens at a given
f-number with a given subject distance.  Thus everything except the
allowable circle of confusion is the same.

The allowable circle of confusion depends on the image format, because
small formats require more enlargement to achieve a given print size.
See, for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_confusion#Circle_of_confusion_diameter_limit_in_photography

With all factors the same, except CoC which depends on format, you can
easily see that DOF depends on format.