Here's the original:

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=8231624&size=lg

I didn't attempt to shoot any pans at the race track. Couldn't. The guard rail was too high to shoot with a lens long enough to make a smooth pan work. More importantly, the car made only four or five passes, and I had to concentrate on getting good burnout and launch photos -- which I did. But I did ask one of the guys to park the car on the track an look straight ahead as though he were driving. I forgot to tell him to roll up the window:-)). Doh.

At home on the computer I gave the car a new window with a semi- transparent layer of tone. Then I spun the wheels with the radial blur tool. Finally, I selected the car and the shadow with the anchor point tool, inverted the selection, and blurred the background. Afterward, I gave a gentle blur tool tug on the front and rear to give it a bit more of an active, less perfect feel.

Many of the pans you see in magazines that aren't part of race coverage are "shot" this way. Fun with PhotoShop.

Paul