Thanks Alan, Tom and Kent. I just saw your messages now, but
surprisingly, those are the things I tried, pretty much.

First I used compressed air to blow off any dust. Gentle brushing
wouldn't do anything to the marks the screen had, so the next step was
microfiber cloth with lens cleaning solution. Nothing. So I went to
running warm water and mild soap, with some luck but not too much.
Then I tried Windex (with ammonia), and the gunk (I think it was foam)
went away. I rinsed it in water because for some reason the Windex
would keep leaving little droplet marks, and then I dried it with
compressed air.

There are two scratches, that were there before, but I cannot really
see any new ones. The screen is a lot more usable now than it was
yesterday. I'll shoot a roll with this camera over the weekend, but
will still change the screen (and add new foam and try to find a motor
drive cover).

Thanks guys for the suggestions.