Sorry for the delay.  I've been busy traveling and am finally with
the folks in NYC for most of the holidays - woo hoo!  So without further
delay...

Santa Cruz, CA, 2001 - Juan Buhler, USA
        The first thing that caught my attention was the overall appearance
of the shot.  I am trying to figure out if it is my monitor, or your scan,
or the image that shows so much contrast, then again it could be the film -
that I am not familiar with.  As I study it further I notice the girl's
clothing and bag are almost washed out.
        The way the image appears on my monitor my attention is drawn to the
'father', the girl is almost secondary.  Was this your intent?  It would
have been the way I viewed it I think.  Much as he is reacting calmly to her
crying, this shot shows it.  Well done.
        I spent some time playing around with the cropping.  I find that I
like the way you have it.  If you had cropped the man on the far right I
think that it would have left too much empty space.  I like the inclusion of
the people around the main scene.  It shows how much attention is being paid
to the crying child.  As for the person on the left, his inclusion places
the center on the 'father' and makes him the 'go to' point.
        I may not be crazy about this shot, but I think you did the best you
could with it and it does carry a story and makes one think.  Good job!

Volleyball at the Pier - Steve Larson, USA
        I am wondering if the softness of the image is due to the lens.  I
am not familiar with your lens.  I'd like to give it a try :-)  That is the
only thing I dislike about the image.
        Some people would want more outside the two players to be seen.
Some may even want the water.  This would, in my opinion, detract from the
two players, the team at work.  This may be because of my familiarity with
playing beach volleyball.  This brings back the whole aspect of the game -
unfortunately the three people I used to play with have left this area.
Something I miss terribly.
        So, I guess I am saying that this shot talks to me.  I can see the
individual form of the digger/setter. That has always intrigued me how the
arms and hands of all the diggers/setters I have seen seem to be different.
I can read the other player anticipating what he is going to do and make it
all work out for the team.  I can go on, but you get where I am going with
this.
        Other than the softness, and not knowing the conditions and actual
colors of the scene, this is a good shot.  Well done.

        César Matamoros II
        Panama City, Florida
        in New York, New York