On Nov 26, 2008, at 8:16 AM, frank theriault wrote:

http://knarfinthecity.blogspot.com/2008/11/love-on-dancefloor.html

Okay, but seriously, I'm happy with this.  Had I processed it in PS
I'd have used plenty of noise reduction which would have helped a lot,
but you can only look at and comment on what's on your screen right
now, I understand that.  I hope you think it's a cool photo, too.  Let
me know.

I like it just the way it is.

I do have a question, though.  There appear to be horizontal lines
going across this image, the most obvious one going through the
female's upper eye.  What are these?  I've not noticed them on other
images.  I don't know if it's a problem with the camera, the card or
the computer.  Any ideas?

They appear to be, in part, JPEG artifacts that come and go due to aliasing at different on-screen scalings. You can generally minimize these sorts of artifacts by using less compression when outputting your JPEG files.

They also appear in underexposed digital captures due to how the sensor records edge conditions near the noise floor of its operation. Underexposure is always to be avoided with digital capture in order to obtain the best quality. If I'm working at the noise floor limits of the sensor, I add some randomized noise to the image and then soften it to minimize/eliminate these kinds of regular patterning.

Godfrey