The only places passenger rail is in half-decent shape in the US (which is only quarter-decent, by European >standards) is in the "Northeast Corridor" from Boston to Washington DC, around Chicago, and on the California >coast.

Oh, I don't know about that.
Have you ever ridden on the Alaksa Railroad?
I've been on it numerous times and have appreciated their on time running and the well maintained, clean stock. I've been told its the only state run RR.

Kenneth Waller
http://www.tinyurl.com/272u2f

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Womer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PESO: Union Station Grand Hall

Thanks, Brian.

Passenger railroads almost disappeared in the US with commercial aviation and the interstate highway system in the 1950s and 1960s. Spending 18-24 hours on a train from St. Louis to New York lost its appeal when one could fly there in 2-3 hours; and taking a train a couple of hours north to Chicago could not compete with driving one's own car. So, by 1970 there were only 3 trains a day through Union Station, and it was too expensive to maintain for that amount of traffic.

The only places passenger rail is in half-decent shape in the US (which is only quarter-decent, by European standards) is in the "Northeast Corridor" from Boston to Washington DC, around Chicago, and on the California coast.

Rick

Rick

http://photo.net/photos/RickW