PN Stenquist wrote:
I've found that unauthorized use of my images has only helped me gain exposure. Frequently the unauthorized user provides at least a credit. I think that making images small and marred by copyright notices only hurts one' promotional efforts in the long run. But that's just my opinion. I do demand payment if one of my images appears in a medium that is obviously part of a commercial venture, but that's rare.

I work the same way, explicitly: All the images I put on my web site I license with the Creative Commons "Non-commercial/Attribution" license. Anyone who isn't making commercial use of them can do so without paying as long as they give credit.

I put a watermark of my name and web site in the image, but try to make it as unobtrusive as possible (it's there so that people can find me when one of my images finds its way somewhere outside my site). Steganography is useless for watermarking because it's so easy to remove (there are a variety of free tools available for doing so).