From: Joseph McAllister
On Jan 16, 2009, at 17:09 , John Francis wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 09:39:54AM +0900, David Savage wrote:
>> And lets not forget to mention the engineers that designed a plane
>> that doesn't fall apart when it gets wet in the wash.
>
> Yeah - that impressed me, too.   The darn thing floated four miles
> downstream, and was snagged and tied up safely before it got to sink!

Wouldn't have made it that far, or stayed as intact if the engine pylons hadn't sheered off and dropped those heavy beasts to the bottom of the river. Don't know if it was the engineering (probably was a factor) that the engines would drop off before the wing spars broke.

Coast Guard apparently caught it on a surveillance camera and has now released footage. Doesn't show the landing real clearly. The plane kind of slides into the frame from the left edge, but it's got good views of the evacuation and the ferry boats coming to the rescue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbOl64z9DnU