I've done some research in the market over the past weeks on laptops
for image editing, and the results I've come up with are quite
disappointing when it comes to screen quality.
The only online resource I've found that has done some actual testing
for the purpose is Rob Galbraith's site, where he's commented on the
backstep that Apple has made with the new LED-screens for the
MacBooks.
His comments made me curious, so I've tried to research exactly what
kind of LCD/TFT panels the various makers use in their laptops. My
conclusion is that such info is gleaming in absence. However, if you
look at the sites of vendors providing replacement screens, there are
links to all the major screen manufacturers with lists of models
available. As it turns out, the range of models is quite limited, even
across all the major manufacturers. The only screen size that can
still be had with high-quality screens is in fact 17".

I guess I ought to say something about what I think of as high and low
quality...

To me, the most important thing about a screen is colour range (gamut)
and accuracy. Below the 17" segment it seems that all screen mfg.'s
delivers only "TN" panels. This is a production technology that only
gives a colour depth of 6 bits per channel, to a total of some 230,000
colours. Despite what the video card can offer. I know there is some
colour dithering going on, and there's some discussion on Apple vs.
Microsoft when it comes to the quality of the dithering. The bottom
line however is still those 6 bits as opposed to 8 bits obtainable by
other panel technologies. The previous generation of Macbook Pro had
such panels. So had the WideView varieties of some Lenovo machines
like the T60, and some of the Dell and HP models.

As far as I've made out, the current models with wide-gamut screens
are limited to the 17" macbook pro, the Lenovo W700 and some options
from Dell in the Precision series. There may be other brands with
high-end offerings too, but not in the Norwegian market, I think.

Jostein

--
http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/
http://alunfoto.blogspot.com