Maris, good questions.
I'm still a newbie WRT scanning and digital imaging.  I'll want to be as
sophisticated as I have time for, which currently is not much, but as far as
cost is concerned, I'll pay what something is worth but not for
bells/whistles and capabilities I'll never use.  Reviews I've read of
Photoshop Elements leads me to believe it may be the "right" fit for me,
easy to understand and use, capable with some study.  Most programs seem to
be on one side of the bell curve or the other, either exceedingly simplistic
or incredibly complex.  But the problem is, until I sit down and really
start working at it, I don't have any idea what I need (I just know it ain't
currently what I've got!  If I have to restart this computer ONE MORE TIME
because of the stupid software...!)

Chris

How much do you want to spend and how sophisticated are you (or do you want
to be)?