2009/2/1 Bruce Dayton <bkday...@daytonphoto.com>:
> Hello David,
>
> Got some pretty cool star trails there.  They are sure fun to shoot.
> Half the battle is to get something interesting in the shot besides
> the stars.  You've done quite well here.  Very neat shot!

Thanks Bruce. The distances I have to travel sometimes to get far
enough away from the city to first see the stars, then try & find and
interesting foreground, are crazy. But I love doing it.

> I'm curious to know more about the shoot, having done a tiny bit of
> this myself back in the film days.  Did you take many different
> shots? Did you use the digital review to help determine
> exposure...anyway, whatever you'd like to share, I'd love to hear
> about.

First order of business is to scout the location (preferably before it
gets dark) to get some ideas & always with a mind as to where the
north & south poles are.

As to the shoot, my first item of business is to set-up, focus &
compose as best as possible. Then I take a 15-30 second test exposure
at ISO 6400. I review the shot to confirm focus & framing, adjusting
as needed (repeating the short high ISO exposure until I'm happy).

Next step is to figure out the exposure. I this situation the trails
are easy There is no light pollution to worry about so I can't
overexpose the sky. I used ISO 400 because I find that the trails come
out a bit more well defined than if I shoot them at ISO 100/200. The
length of the trails comes down to how long I want them, or how
patient I'm feeling. If I want them long I'll use a lower ISO, If I
just want pin pricks then I'll leave the ISO cranked up.

In situations where there is ambient light, I use the ISO 6400 test
shot & the review image as an aid to determine the lower ISO main
shot. I'll keep adjusting the exposure length until the lighting looks
right. I then work backwards to determine the exposure at ISO 200/400.
(ie 30 seconds at ISO 6400, 1 min @ ISO 3200, 2 min @ ISO 1600 etc).
In these situations I'll sometimes expose for the foreground & then do
a longer exposure for the trails. Combine in PS & layer mask.

The tricky part in this shot is dialling in the right amount of light
painting. That comes down to trial & error & counting  one-one
thousand, two one thousand, three...etc while I'm painting & paying
attention to what I'm painting. Review the shot & adjust as needed.

I always shoot with in camera NR off. Limited time at some locations
makes 30min to +1 hr of waiting between exposures prohibitive. With
the D700 I can get away with this, but I found it not such a good idea
with the K10/20D.

That's pretty much it. Not too much science and a fair amount of gut.

Cheers,

Dave