In a message dated 2/1/2009 5:06:54 A.M. Pacific  Standard Time,
cotty...@mac.com writes:
On 1/2/09, mike wilson,  discombobulated, unleashed:

>Hope you are aware that Orifice 2007 uses  a four letter suffix to files
>(e.g. *.docx) that are not openable in any  other version, even if you
>remove the x.  Many folks don't know this  as they have their OS set to
>the default of not showing extension.   I think there is a plugin to deal
>with that but I find it much easier to  ignore 2007 files.

Wow - timely!

I was just reading this when a  friend rang me. His daughter had saved
some work at school in Office 2007 and  emailed it to herself at home,
where they have Office 2004. He said they  couldn't open it in Office
2004 and did I have any tips?

I told him to  highlight the file, Apple+i to open File Info, see the bit
where it says  'Open With' (Office 2004 was the current selection), see
what else was  available, he said 'Text Edit', so chose that and hey
presto, the file  opened. Copy and paste into Word from 2004 and she was
off again.

This  was on a (cough) Mac.

===========
Yup, Mike. I still saved the file as  a 97-2003 doc, which Word 2007 still
lets you do.

Cotty, M$ has a file  convertor for converting 2007 files so it can be read
by earlier versions of  Word. (Bob posted the link.)

Personally, I am still debating whether to  upgrade to Office 2003 (from
Office 2000) rather than to 2007. I haven't really  run across anything yet
that
convinces me that 2007 is a big improvement over  earlier versions. Seems there
was interface change without a lot of new  features. There are a few new
features in 2003 over 2000, mainly in  Excel.

---------------------
I make calanders every year for Erin,  James and a few others. In the
past they have been horse related, but now  since Erin has sold the one
horse, i have been putting in my own shots.
I  use Kodak Gallery dot ca and use the templates they have. They do a good
job.

Dave
============
Thanks, Dave. Maybe I will go that way in  the future if I ever make more
than two copies of a calendar. ;-) I sort of  like, though, having total
control
over everything about it, size, fonts, etc. I  also liked adding the holidays
I chose.

Marnie aka Doe  :-)

Warning: I am now  filtering my email, so you may be censored.

**************Know Your Numbers: Get tips and tools to help you improve your
credit score.
(http://www.walletpop.com/credit/credit-reports?ncid=emlcntuswall00000002)