Hi,

I'm in Melbourne and the whole thing still seems a bit surreal at this stage. I was at a family members house on Saturday, it was so hot, the air was thick with smoke and wind was unbelievably strong. Some of the areas hit are only a 30 minute drive from the central business and are pretty much the outer suburbs of Melbourne.

I can think of the two other PDML members of the past who live in Melbourne and from memory they weren't in any area affected.

Paul

m.9.wil...@ntlworld.com wrote:
---- Anthony Farr <farranth...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm in Sydney, which is safe. The fires near here didn't get very bad.
Melbourne's summer climate is much more arid than Sydney's, so fires there
are more frequently close to the flashpoint at which vapourised eucalyptus
oil in the atmosphere will explode into a fireball.  Sydney's blanketing
humidity usually suppresses the combustibility of the atmosphere around the
fire front.

I'm finding the news pics we see here decidedly odd.  You will see an aerial
shot of maybe a dozen dwellings, all razed to the ground.  Around them are
numerous, perfectly flammable trees that have not, apparently, been touched.
In another shot you will see large areas of woodland reduced to grey ash, with
nearby dwellings apparently untouched.

There is a Melbourne pdmler whose been in lurk mode for a good while, his
name escapes me, but I think he's a city boy so should be safe (I hope so
anyway).

Regards, Anthony