frank theriault wrote:

Might as well issue swastika armbands to all the cops over there.
Teach them to click their heels and do the Heil Hitler salute.  It's
come to that.

Once the press is prevented from photographing the police, from
exposing what the police do to the public, you're in a police state.

If PJs have to think twice every time they photograph an officer,
there will be a huge chill placed on what PJs decide to shoot, what
editors decide to print.

"Hmmmm, the police are taking down this band robbery suspect.  What if
the robbery is to fund terrorist activities?  What if divulging the
identity of the alleged robber will tell his "cell members" that he's
been arrested, thus helping them in their nefarious ways?  I'd best
not take this photo!"

This bill scares the hell out of me, and it makes me angry as hell.
If it becomes law in Britain, other countries will follow suit in
short order.

This kind of shit has to be stopped dead in its tracks.

cheers,
frank

robbing a band is probably a terrible way to fund any kind of activity.

But I digress. Notice how this is kinda of thrown in at the end:

"New deal on ID card

UK press organisations are set to unveil a new press card, featuring up to 180 new security features, BJP has learnt.

The new card is currently being tested, says Jeff Moore, the chairman of the British Press Photographers' Association. It will work like an Oyster Card, storing electronically the information featured on the front of the card.

Police officers will also be able to use new radios to confirm the validity of the card. The new features are expected to make it easier for police officers to identify members of the press, while reducing the number of fake cards.

The new cards are scheduled for release this year."

Let's see, you can't photograph us doing anything, but we will now have knowledge of your whereabouts at all times.