On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 22:52:53 -0000, "Bob W" <p...@web-options.com> said:

> > > There are probably lots who have submitted a few and given up.
> > > Persistence pays off, take my word for it.
> > >

> > I agree with that but the reason I keep contributing is that the
> > existence of the PPG has given my photography more focus (no pun
> > intended).  I'm more conscious of composition and lighting
> > and I tend to
> > take more time in exploring the possibilities of a subject.
> >
> > So, whenever I have an photo I particularly like, I submit it.
> > Occasionally one gets in - more often they're rejected.  But
> > that's not
> > the point.  The PPG is helping to improve my photography
> > (even if that's
> > very slow progress.....)
>
> You have to be a bit careful using other people's judgement as your
> yardstick. The risk is that you start shooting stuff that you think they
> will like, rather than stuff you like, and in many cases it means
> lowering
> your standards.
>
> I have the same attitude to shooting for the RPS distinctions. Although
> they
> gave me a rough time with my last submission, I won't shoot anything just
> please them, although I'm pleased to get their criticism and feedback.
> The
> first thing my pictures have to do is please me. If they please the RPS
> too,
> then all well and good, but the only judgement that really matters is
> mine.

Yes - fully agree.

I don't shoot with the aim of pleasing the PPG voters.  I just find that
I'm more conscious of exploring the possibilities in potential
photographic subjects since the PPG came into being.  I still don't have
the "eye" for a subject that I'd like to have, but I'm improving - or,
at least I like to think I am :-)>

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters