Really those are all pretty bad. I wouldn't be happy with any of them. Perhaps it is also the white on white subject and your tripod/head combo might not be steady enough. Wind will play a factor too.

I think getting better magnification with lenses and TCs is better than just cropping the image. Use higher ISO so you can stop down and use faster shutter speeds. Get a better platform to shoot from.

Here is what 500mm +1.4x TC sharpness should look like :-)
http://birdofthemoment.blogspot.com/2009/01/another-from-south-texas.html

--

Christian
http://404mohawknotfound.blogspot.com/

Larry Colen wrote:
I did a quick experiment yesterday with my bigma and teleconverters,
and posted some examples and my notes at dpr:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=31052869

The question was, for extreme telephoto am I better with cropping, or
using a teleconverter, or multiple TCs. The answer seems to be "it
depends". It seems to depend on a lot of factors, and I bet that the
results would be different with a 14mp K20 than with my 6mp K100, or a
D700.

Despite the rig being on a tripod, I also probably should have tried
bumping the ISO, or maybe even under exposing some more. I think I
still got motion blur.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157614103063616/

I could also try some tests at night, with a resolution chart target
and a flash to minimize motion blur. Then again, there's optical
performance and real world performance. It's still fun to play with.

The real result is that if you need that much magnification, you
aren't going to get clear photos "on the cheap". It's still fun to
experiment with to get some idea what the limits really are.