Teleconverters, by default, always DEGRADE image quality; never improve it. Anytime you put something between your lens and your camera you are going to lower image quality. The question is: by how much? With matched converters like I have, not by that much, but with crappy third-party inexpensive TCs you are going to suffer greatly.

Not necessarily. For instance, if you have a lens that vignettes a little or suffers from a little edge softness, and a very high quality teleconverter, the combination might actually improve evenness of illumination and emphasize the center, sharp section of the lens' image circle.

I'm also beginning to suspect that in some circumstances, my camera
body may be a limiting factor.

A 6Mpixel DSLR body is perfectly all right for ultra telephoto work. After a certain point, atmospheric degradation limits image resolution regardless of how good a lens or how many pixels you have.

Godfrey