On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 7:24 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 07:13:20PM -0500, Adam Maas wrote:
>
> # > So, I just thought I'd check out the level of interest in the 50 and
> # > see if anyone as a 100 that they're thinking of selling.
> # >
> # >
> #
> # Buy a Kiron/Lester Dine or Vivitar 105mm f2.8 in KA form for much cheaper?
>
> OK, what are the options for 100mm-ish macros that also work well as
> general purpose lenses? What are their strengths and weaknesses?

There's a few options. All have long focus throws which is the biggest
issue in using a macro as a day-to-day lens.

The Kiron/lester Dine and Vivitar 105's are superb macros that make
very good general purpose lenses. They're at their best at macro
distances but still very good at normal distances
The Tamron 90's are rightly legendary as the 'Portrait' macro. Great
macro, great portrait lenses. Available most commonly as a adaptall-2
f2.5 version that does 1:2 or an AF f2.8 version that does 1:1. they
do well at infinity, but not as well as their <10' performance.
The Zeiss ZK Makro-Planar 100/2 is probably the best option available.
Unfortunately it costs more than any 3 other options combined. Which
is too bad since its worth every penny.
The various Pentax 100/2.8's are all excellent. The FA is probably the
best of the lot, with the D-FA's coming second. The FA 100/3.5 is good
but not nearly as good and somewhat poorly built as its a SMC-coated
version of the common Cosina design usually seen from Phoenix or
Vivitar. 100/4's are older designs but rather good in their own right
although the slow aperture makes them less useful for general use.
The Tokina and Vivitar 90mm's are also excellent, but rather more rare
and difficult to find in the KA versions that are better suited to
digital use.
The Sigma 105's are good all-round lenses but I'd consider them only
if the other options aren't available.

You could also convert a Leica or Contax 100/2.8 via a Leitax adaptor.
The Leica 100/2.8 APO is the sharpest ~100mm macro ever made. The
Contax is merely excellent and much cheaper.

And last of all is the Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 125/2.5. It's a bit
long and a bit rare, but is second only to the Leica in performance.
Used copies go for serious money though ($700-1000 typically) as it's
rare and it didn't make its reputation until after production ceased.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca