It`s about time you came back! Glad to have you back, Paul.
Steve Larson
Redondo Beach, California
----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2001 10:22 AM
Subject: I'm back!

> It's Paul Stregevsky of Maryland, after a several-month hiatus. During
those months, I used fixed-lens rangefinders as my primary cameras; my
Pentax SLRs found use only to shoot school plays.

> In the spring I sought your advice about what combination of body and lens
would make a good take-everywhere combination. One of you planted the idea
of a rangefinder, and while I dismissed it at the time, it led me to try one
RF after another (or two or three at a time).

> But I'm returning to my SLRS, for several reasons:
>
> 1. I've found that I can't focus a coincident-image rangefinder as quickly
as I can focus an SLR screen, whether I use the SLR's ground glass or (as is
more typical) split-image rangefinder.

> 2. I prefer using fast films, such as ISO 800, and with a top speed of
1/500 second, my rangefinders didn't give me as much "headroom" as my SLRs
(1/2,000).

> 3. There are times I'd rather shoot at focal lengths wider or longer than
40 or 45mm.

> 4. The SLRs let me compensate exposure more conveniently and quickly.
>
> 5. The SLRs show more information in the viewfinder.
>
> 6. I may be selling off some of my lenses, and I'd rather sell the list
members than go the EBay route, even if you don't have deep pockets.

> 7. There are times I need (or prefer to use) flash, and my SLRs' TTL
bounce flash makes it easy.

> 8. I missed you guys! I recently became a lurker, but there are times I
want to put in my two cents' worth, so I bit the bullet and rejoined the
list.

> PS: My newest belt pouch (a U.S. Postal Service pouch) is very deep; I can
hold an SLR body with a 105/2.8K or 135/2.5K, facing down. Nonetheless, the
camera that I'm wearing now in the pouch is a Yashica Electro GT (45/1.7).
It's big, it's heavy, and it has the limitations I've lamented. But it's
supremely quiet and vibration-free, and its Yashinon DX 6-element lens
simply outpeforms all normal K mounts at f/1.7 or f/2, in the center and
corners.

> Please note my new email address: [EMAIL PROTECTED] I used to
use my NEC America address, but I no longer work at NEC. I work at the U.S.
Postal Service's Engineering, Research, and Development Center in Northern
Virginia.